Hymn of the Righteous Sufferer(ca. 1770–600 BCE)
1. I will praise the lord of Wisdom, solicitous god,
2. Furious in the night, calming in the daylight;
3. Marduk! lord of wisdom, solicitous god,
4. Furious in the night, calming in the daylight;
5. Whose anger engulfs like a tempest,
6. Whose breeze is sweet as the breath of morn
7. In his fury not to be withstood, his rage the deluge,
8. Merciful in his feelings, his emotions relenting.
9. The skies cannot sustain the weight of his hand,
10. His gentle palm rescues the moribund.
11. Marduk! The skies cannot sustain the weight of his hand,
12. His gentle palm rescues the moribund.
13. When he is angry, graves are dug,
14. His mercy raised the fallen from disaster.
15. When he glowers, protective spirits take flight,
16. He has regard for and turns to the one whose god has forsaken him.
17. Harsh is his punishments, he … in battles (?)
18. When moved to mercy, he quickly feels pain like a mother in labor.
19. He is bull-headed in love of mercy
20. Like a cow with a calf, he keeps...