Plessy v. Ferguson(1896)
- averring asserting
- chattel property
- coolie manual laborer, usually of Chinese descent, who was brought to United States to help build railroads (now considered a racial slur)
- damages monies paid for harm caused
- defendant in error the party that is defending the lower court's ruling
- demurrer contention by the defendant that although the facts put forward by the plaintiff may be true, they do not entitle the plaintiff to prevail in the lawsuit.
- due process the appropriate procedures that are necessary to affect a person's right to life, liberty, or property
- eminent domain the right...
Plessy v. Ferguson (National Archives and Records Administration)View Full Size