Thomas Aquinas: Summa Theologiae(1266–1273)
First Part: Treatise on Sacred Doctrine
QUESTION 1—THE NATURE AND EXTENT OF SACRED DOCTRINE (TEN ARTICLES)
To place our purpose within proper limits, we first endeavor to investigate the nature and extent of this sacred doctrine. Concerning this there are ten points of inquiry:
- (1) Whether it is necessary?
- (2) Whether it is a science?
- (3) Whether it is one or many?
- (4) Whether it is speculative or practical?
- (5) How it is compared with other sciences?
- (6) Whether it is the same as wisdom?
- (7) Whether God is its subject-matter?
- (8) Whether it is a matter of argument?
- (9) Whether it...
Source: Thomas Aquinas. The "Summa Theologica" of St. Thomas Aquinas, 2nd ed. Translated by Fathers of the English Dominican Province. London: Burns Oates & Washbourne, 1920.
Thomas Aquinas holding a copy of the ”Summa theologia“ (Library of Congress)View Full Size